Sunday, July 28, 2013

July 21-27.2013

Sunday:  BBQ Turkey Meatloaf, Roasted Green Beans, & Warm Sourdough Bread

·          This is one of my favorite meatloaf recipes.  It’s been a while since we had it, so we enjoyed it quite a bit!  I used ground turkey instead of ground beef, and I substituted oatmeal for bread crumbs.  Delish!  This is also such a great recipe to double and freeze a loaf for a night when you just want to pull something out of the freezer.


Monday:  Chicken Strips, Fruit, & Macaroni & Cheese
·          I think you can tell by this menu that Chad was gone for the evening, so I made something the kids would definitely enjoy.  J


Tuesday:  Sautéed Spinach & Cheese Ravioli
·          Chad was gone again, and the boys were staying the night with their cousins.  So, it was just the girls!  Payton is pretty easy to feed, and I wanted something substantial.  I buy the large bags of frozen spinach and cheese ravioli from CostCo, and they are GREAT!  You can make them in a few different ways.  I love sautéing them in a small amount of butter in a hot skillet.  They turn brown and crispy on the outside, and warm and gooey on the inside!  I sprinkle it with a little of the cheese that comes with it, and it’s a great little meal when I’m just needing something quick for myself.


Wednesday:  Linguini with Mild Italian Sausage & Pasta Sauce and Roasted Green Beans (For the Parents) / Crescent Pizza Rolls (For the Kids)

·          I wasn’t sure if Chad would be home for dinner or not, so when I found out he would be, I thawed some mild Italian sausage from the freezer, cooked it up, and added it to some pasta sauce.  I combined the sauce with some linguini noodles, which was a wonderfully delicious meal for Chad and me.  I roasted green beans again because we had some in the fridge that needed to be eaten before they went bad. 

Because I thought the sausage might be a little spicy for the boys (it wouldn’t have been, by the way), I made them some quick Crescent Pizza Rolls that I saw on Pinterest and have done many times.  Roll out your triangles, add 3-4 pepperonis, then add mozzarella cheese.  You can use half of a cheese stick or shredded cheese, whichever you have on hand.  I like to melt a little butter and mix in a little garlic salt to brush over the top of the crescent rolls before I bake them.  Yum!


Thursday:  Grilled “Kickin’ Chicken” with Roasted Veggie Hash & Bread

·          Chad and I had this a few weeks ago, and we have been obsessed with Frank’s Red Hot ever since.  Seriously, we are putting it on everything!  This recipe is easy and delicious.  It’s not too hot, and the boys enjoyed it with us this time. (http://www.sweetlittlebluebird.com/)

Roasted Veggie Hash
·          Hash is a little bit of a strange word, but it’s what we decided was best to call this way of cooking vegetables.  I diced our sweet potatoes and zucchini really small – about a half inch square.  Then, I tossed them with a little olive oil and Season All.  I roasted them at 425 degrees for 20 minutes, tossing everything around halfway through.  This is a great way to roast veggies quickly, as well as a great way to throw a few different vegetables together when you don’t have enough of one particular type.  We love it!


Friday:  Crispy Parmesan Tilapia with Roasted Broccoli & Carrots

·          We had this tilapia a month ago for my mom’s birthday.  We really enjoyed it then, so I was excited to make it again.  I actually think it was better this time, and I’m wondering if it was because I used fresh tilapia, rather than frozen that I thawed.  Either way, we really like this recipe!  The boys love it too, which is always a plus.  The breading is so crunchy, and squeezing fresh lemon juice over the top right before eating it is definitely the way to go!  I’ll be perusing http://www.spendwithpennies.com/ for more tasty recipes in the future.  We served ours with roasted broccoli and carrots – 2 vegetables that usually don’t require too much coaxing for the boys to eat.  J


Saturday:  Sliders with Oven Baked French Fries and Fruit


·          We are loving sliders this summer!  Cheeseburgers are such a hit at our house…especially with Ranger.  Chad & I love making sliders because we can make burgers several different ways.  On this evening, we topped ours with creamy Havarti cheese, avocados, tomatoes, & fresh basil.  These little burgers were so, so, so good!!!  Adding baked French fries makes the kids happy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment