Sunday, October 12, 2014

October 5-11, 2014

(Apparently, I declared this the week of the crock pot!)

Sunday:  Crock Pot Ranch Pork Chops with Rice and Spinach Salad

·          These are so delicious and so EASY!  I put them in my crock pot around 6:45am, and when we returned home from church around 12:15, they were perfect!  This recipe came from StockPilingMom.com, and I altered it only slightly.  Instead of pork chops, I used thick-cut turkey chops.  They were so moist and tender.  I served ours over a packet of brown rice and quinoa that I buy from Costco with a spinach salad.  Chad went back for seconds!  We didn’t even stop long enough so I could take a picture.

It does call for a can of cream of chicken or mushroom soup, and I know many people now are avoiding them.  I don’t cook with canned cream soups often, so it doesn’t bother me to use them on occasion.  This recipe is so easy, fast, and delicious, I would recommend everyone try to find an alternative soup option just so they can enjoy this dish!  There are gluten free, organic, and homemade cream soup options if you so choose.  J


Monday:  Slow Cooker Quinoa & Sweet Potato Fajitas



·          This dish is so simple, and so yummy.  But, I’ll warn you…it makes a TON!  So, if you have a large family, this will be plenty…and if you have a small family, you’ll have leftovers for days.  J  I love that it was all together in one crock pot.  It was easy to add some fresh tortillas and, cheese, sour cream, and cilantro.  (Thanks to Chelsea’s Messy Apron!)  Chad was gone for several days later this week, and these leftovers fed me very well.  J


Tuesday:  Leftovers


Wednesday: Mummy Dogs, Monster Teeth, & Goblin Salad


·          When Daddy’s away, the little monsters will play…and eat!  (And yes…I did put a couple of candy corns on their salads.  J )


Thursday:  Turkey, Cheese, Fruit, & Zucchini Muffins

Zucchini Muffins
·          These little muffins have rounded out many meals for my little rascals over the years.  I always keep a batch in the freezer to pull out as a healthy addition to our plates.  It's a really forgiving recipe, so feel free to add different things.  I usually add even more veggies. 

3 eggs
1 mashed banana
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tbsp vanilla
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 cup of another shredded veggie
1 cup sugar
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup whole oats
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder

Mix eggs, banana, applesauce, vanilla, and veggies.  Add remaining ingredients.  Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes for mini muffins.




Friday:  Dinner & a Movie with Nonnie


Saturday:  Slow Cooker Asian Style Country Ribs with Rice and Stir Fry Veggies




·          I was so looking forward to trying this recipe, and it did not disappoint.  I didn’t even remember to marinate the ribs the night before, as the recipe suggests.  I just put everything in the crock pot and turned it on.  The meat was tender and full of flavor.  About an hour before we ate, I topped the meat with some fresh snow peas and broccoli.  I spooned just a little bit of the sauce over the vegetables and put the lid back on the crock pot to cook the vegetables.  When it was time to eat, I topped rice with the ribs, broccoli, and snow peas, and dinner was served!


1 comment:

  1. I use organic cream soups when I have to (like when making chicken and rice or beef strogonoff). I can't remember if its Imagine or Pacific brand. I'm sure it is still drastically high in sodium, but at least there isn't msg and who knows what else!

    ReplyDelete