Monday, March 10, 2014

March 2-8, 2014

Sunday:  Beans & Cornbread

Pinto Beans and Cornbread

·          I love an easy crock pot meal!!  Normally, I make these on the stove, but since it was Sunday, I made them in the crock pot so they would cook while we were at church.  I just started them on high for 2 hours, then backed it down to low for the rest of the time - about 4 hours.  I made cornbread muffins before church, so everything was ready to go when we walked in the door!  There were plenty of leftovers to add to our meals or make lunches out of the rest of the week.

Beans and cornbread is such a delicious, economical, & filling meal that hits the spot on a cool day!  We like The Pioneer Woman’s Beans, and I must say, they are wonderful (as most of her recipes are)!  I ended up adding 2 teaspoons of salt at the end (she recommends 1) because my bacon wasn’t all that salty.  I also added onion powder and garlic powder.  The greatness of her recipe is that you can cook the beans over the stovetop for 2 hours, without soaking them first.  I can’t count the number of times I’ve wanted to make beans, but have forgotten to soak them overnight.  With this recipe, there is no need!!  Yay  J 


Monday:  Crispy Parmesan Tilapia with Garlic Parmesan Spaghetti Squash and Roasted Green Beans

·          We really like tilapia this way.  It’s very easy to do (although it can be messy!) and the crunch on it is just right!  I actually didn’t even use the cornflake crumbs because we didn’t have any, and we didn’t miss them at all.  (http://www.spendwithpennies.com)

·          Our favorite way to eat spaghetti squash…yum!!  It just as delicious as a leftover, so feel free to make a big squash.  J  (http://www.steamykitchen.com)

Tuesday:  Creamy Chicken Quinoa Broccoli Casserole with Garlic Toast

·          I’ll just say it…I was disappointed with this recipe.  It lacked a little flavor, in my opinion.  We actually all ate it, and Chad and I spiced ours up with some Frank’s Red Hot.  Still, I was expecting to really like this.  If I try it again, or something similar, I plan to change up the flavors and seasonings to suit our tastes a bit better.  It is incredibly healthy…broccoli, chicken, quinoa, and you make your own cream soup rather than using store bought.  But be careful!  I let my milk boil over a bit, which could have changed the flavor and consistency some.  Judge it for yourself!  (http://pinchofyum.com)


Wednesday:  Dinner with Mom!  J


Thursday:  Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas

·          This is a recipe from the 100 Days of No Processed Food on Stacy Makes Cents.  I actually made these a couple of months ago and had a decent amount leftover that we weren’t able to eat.  So I froze it!  Ranger’s t-ball practice was on Thursday this week because of weather, so I took the frozen – like a brick! – fajitas and put them back in my crock pot and warmed them on low all afternoon.  When we came home from practice that evening, dinner was ready to go!  These fajitas were still delicious, even after being frozen.  Yay!


Friday:  Pizza with Cauliflower Pizza Crust, Topped with Chicken, Eggplant, and Tomato



·          I have been trying to lower the gluten in my diet, so by default, at dinner, my family is also.  I saw this recipe on Pinterest from onelittleproject.com and thought we should give it a try.  First, it is really quite yummy.  Second, ours didn’t stay together quite like a normal pizza crust.  We ended up eating ours with forks.  But, it was delicious, and a great way to eat cauliflower!  The kids each ate every bite on their plates.  J 

To top our crust, I used some pesto sauce, rotisserie chicken, fresh mozzarella, and roasted eggplant and tomato.  (This was based off of The Pioneer Woman’s Favorite Pizza.)  I ate so much of the roasted eggplant and tomato before I even made the pizza…the veggies are THAT good!  On the kids’ portion, they mostly just had chicken and cheese.  I anticipate making this crust again, but working a little harder to squeeze out all the moisture from the cauliflower before making the crust “dough.”  I think that may help the crust stay together.



Saturday:  Dallas Stars Hockey Game with Friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment