Sunday, March 30, 2014

March 23-29, 2014

Sunday:  Beef & Broccoli Fried Rice

Beef & Broccoli Fried Rice
·          We had leftover steak from the night before, so Chad whipped up this delicious dish with the leftovers.  He stayed home with Callen from small group that evening, so he had dinner all ready when we arrived back home.  Yay!  He made basmati rice and combined it with a scrambled egg and broccoli that he had sautéed in a little peanut oil.  Then he cut up the leftover steak and tossed it in there with everything else.  I’m sure he added a few seasonings, but essentially he took meat from the night before and made it into a totally new dish for us that we all thoroughly enjoyed!


Monday:  Pad Thai Take Out

·          Chad wasn’t feeling well and really wanted spicy Pad Thai to help clear out his sinuses.  I was happy to oblige and picked us – and my mom! - up some dinner from our favorite Thai restaurant.  The kids aren’t really Thai eaters (yet!), so they had some chicken, tator tots, and fruit.  J


Tuesday:  Ommy Noms Chicken Spaghetti with Roasted Carrots and Green Beans

·          A friend on Facebook posted this recipe a few weeks ago and said her family really enjoyed it.  I love chicken spaghetti!  My favorite recipe is from my mom, and it’s an easy one to put together.  But, I was interested in this one since it has no cream soups or Velveeta in it (which I do love on occasion!).  I’ve been eating gluten free for the month of March, so I knew this one could be easily adapted for me. 

The cheese sauce is really, really delicious.  I actually might just make it again and pour it over noodles for a yummy mac-n-cheese!  I used gluten free flour and gluten free rice noodles.  I also used chicken from a CostCo rotisserie chicken. 

We had a busy day with preschool, a playdate, and t-ball practice, so I actually prepared this around 2:30 and then put it in my crock pot on the lowest setting.  When we ate a little after 6:00, it was hot and yummy!  The gluten free rice noodles actually ended up breaking apart a bit, so ours was essentially chicken and rice, but it was still so, so good!  I’ll definitely add this recipe to the “make again” pile!

Roasted Carrots & Green Beans
·          I buy the huge bag of organic, frozen green beans from CostCo.  This is really nice to have on hand for any night when you need a fast, easy veggie to go along with dinner.  I just lay them frozen on a foil-lined baking sheet and spray with a bit of olive oil.  Then I sprinkle them with a little salt and pepper or seasoned salt.  They usually take 15-20 minutes to roast at 400 degrees.  The temperature can vary between 375-425 degrees, just alter your time as well. 

Carrots are also easy.  I just peel and then slice thin whole carrots.  I roast them at the same time as the green beans.  If you leave the sticks a little big, they will take longer than a green bean or other thin veggie.  I slice ours pretty thin because they roast more quickly, and the kids like eating them like French fries.  J  With any roasted veggie, toss it around after about 15 minutes of roasting, then finish cooking until they are cooked how you like them!


Wednesday:  Taco Pockets, Spinach Salad, Beans, & Rice

·          Another Pinterest find that I thought would be tasty and easy…it was!!  This is from the Plain Chicken blog, and it should satisfy the pickiest of eaters.  It’s basically a taco biscuit, so what’s not to like?  ;-)  The boys ate theirs just like a cheeseburger.  I served a small spinach salad and beans and rice for sides.  I actually used some of the meat, rice, beans, and cheese and made a spinach taco salad for myself.  I topped it with a little salsa, avocado, and sour cream.  It was delish!


Thursday:  Leftover Night  J


Friday:  Grilled Chicken and Veggies with Bread

·          I put Chad to work on the grill this night!  I marinated chicken earlier in the day that he grilled for us.  He also just bought a new grill basket, so we threw our diced veggies in there (tossed around with a little olive oil, season salt, and pepper), which made my job even easier.  Yay!



Saturday:  Dinner with Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment