Thursday, November 6, 2014

November 2-5, 2014

** The kids and I are traveling for the next few days, so here is the menu a bit shorter and earlier than usual.  Have a great weekend!

Sunday:  Leftover BBQ Pork Sandwiches
·          This pork was from Halloween night…perfect for a quick Sunday lunch or dinner!  J


Monday:  Chicken & Butternut Squash Bake with Roasted Broccoli

·          I had some boneless, skinless chicken thighs and some butternut squash, so I just typed in those two ingredients in Google and found a recipe that looked yummy!  This recipe was the 2nd one I read, and I decided it was easy enough and looked quite tasty.  It did not disappoint on either account!  It took about 5 minutes to put together (my butternut squash was already peeled and cut from CostCo) and then I just stuck it in the oven. 

I was careful with the red pepper flakes since this was for my kids also.  The chicken ended up tasting just like a rotisserie chicken, so my kids gobbled it right up.  The boys ate their veggies without convincing, and Payton….well, she’s Payton.  ;-)  I definitely agree with Laura that you need to use dark meat or bone-in chicken breasts for roasting chicken this way.  It will keep it from being dry and powdery.  This recipe will be one I make again this fall!


Tuesday:  Dinner with Mom  J


Wednesday:  Pizza Night (With Homemade Whole Wheat Pizza Crust)

Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
·          This is a simple dough recipe that can be used for pizza or focaccia bread.  It’s enough for 2 decent-size pizzas.  The recipe says regular flour, but I substituted whole wheat this time.

1 package dry yeast
1 ½ cups warm water
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups flour
2 tablespoons olive oil

Dissolve the yeast in the water.  Mix together the flour and salt in a bowl, make a well in the center and add the water and oil.  Begin to stir with a fork, bringing the flour in a little at a time until all flour is incorporated.  Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.  Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm spot to rise.


When ready to make your pizza, roll out dough on an oiled baking sheet (I used my fingers).  Add whatever toppings you like and bake in a 500 degree oven for 10-12 minutes until the crust is brown around the edges and the cheese is bubbly.  Don’t place it too close to the top of your oven.  J


No comments:

Post a Comment