Sunday, September 7, 2014

August 31 - September 6, 2014

Sunday:  Leftover Pasta & Macaroni with Spinach Salad and Bread




·         After church, we came home and warmed up the leftover Bolognese pasta bake from the previous night, as well as some homemade macaroni that I had made for the kids.  (By homemade macaroni, I mean hot elbow macaroni, shredded cheddar, a dash of milk, and a little butter.  I’m not kidding…that’s all, and they love it.)  Chad added some cut up turkey to the kids’ macaroni to give it some more protein.  I made a spinach salad with strawberries, feta, and almonds.  Everyone was happy with this easy Sunday meal!


Monday:  Labor Day – Fun with Friends!


Tuesday:  Pei Wei Take Out

·          This week for school, we are reading “The Story of Ping.”  I thought some Chinese food would be a great way to talk more about our lessons and (let’s be honest) give me an excuse not to cook!  J


Wednesday:  Salmon with a Balsamic Glaze, Roasted Broccoli, & Quinoa with Kale

Salmon with a Balsamic Glaze
·          My mom came over, and she brought some salmon and broccoli with her.  I used Pioneer Woman’s method of cooking the salmon, which is pretty fool-proof.  Then I made my sister-in-law’s recipe for balsamic glaze on the stove top and drizzled it over the salmon once it was done.  Obviously since I baked my salmon in the oven, I didn’t have salmon drippings like the recipe says below.  I added roasted broccoli and some quinioa with kale that I found at CostCo that is really delicious!

Glaze:
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 T fresh lemon juice
1 T plus 1 tsp. brown sugar

Stir together in bowl.  Fry salmon in a skillet of butter.  Remove salmon. Carefully add mixture to skillet with salmon drippings.  Simmer until thick and boiled down to about 1/3 cup.  Top salmon with mixture and serve with orzo pasta w barely wilted fresh spinach. Yum!


Thursday:  Porcupines in a Skillet with Roasted Asparagus



·          I pinned this on Pinterest, and it looked like something my kids would eat.  They love beef, and they love rice, so this seemed like a safe bet.  It’s actually a great recipe for a busy evening, and stayed warm even though we ate at different times due to Ranger’s t-ball practice.  It definitely has the flavor of the onion soup, so if that’s not your thing, stay away from it.  J  Chad loved it, and had it for leftovers for lunch the next day over chips.  I really like the basis of this recipe, and I feel like I could play with the seasonings on this easily and have some different flavors.


Friday:  Porcupine Quesadillas with Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas

·          Even with Chad having leftovers for lunch, we still had some of the beef and rice leftover (I have 3 small kids, mind you…those of you with actual real-size appetites in your house may not have leftovers like we do).  We really like these homemade whole wheat tortillas from The Lean Green Bean, so I made a batch so that we could have quesadillas.  We don’t mind leftovers, but it’s nice to try and change them up just a little bit so that we don’t feel like we are having the exact same meal 2 days in a row.  This marked the end of a very fun, but tiring first week of homeschool and preschool for our family, so we enjoyed these quesadillas while having a picnic upstairs in the media room for movie night!


Saturday:  Dinner at Mom’s:  French Dip Crescents with Homemade Sweet Potato Fries


·          My mom made dinner for us, and it was delicious!  She made these French Dip Crescents from Mama Loves Food, and there was not a bite leftover.  How can you go wrong throwing meat and cheese inside a crescent roll?  J  We did not have the horse radish, but we did have the au jus for dipping.  Yum, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment