Sunday, August 17, 2014

August 10-16, 2014

I only made 2 actual dinners this week.  Our week was filled with unexpected emergencies and family in town.  So, here are the 2 meals I made...the other 5 nights we were either in survival mode or with family.  Have a good week!

Roast, Potatoes, and Carrots




We had a couple from church over for lunch on Sunday, and due to some of his allergies, I needed to make a very simple, meat and potatoes type meal.  Of course, nothing is better on Sunday than a roast!  I simply seared the roast with olive oil and generous amounts of salt and pepper until it had a nice brown coating on each side.  Then I threw in quartered red potatoes and baby carrots and about half a cup of water.  I put a lid on my pot and put the roast in the oven at 250 degrees before we left for church.  3 hours later, I pulled it out, and it was perfect!  With the juice left in my pot, I made a gravy by adding corn starch and water and whisking on the stove.  There were a few lumps, so I strained it out before serving.  :-)



Turkey Meatballs with Mushrooms, Asparagus, Carrots, and Rice



I needed a simple meal one evening, but I didn't want us to eat drive through or take out.  I had some turkey meatballs from Costco in the freezer.  I made them in the oven as directed, and at the same time, I roasted asparagus, mushrooms, and carrots.  While that was cooking, I made brown rice on the stove top.  When the meatballs and veggies were done, I added them to the rice on the stove and flavored it with sesame oil, rice vinegar, and Hoisin sauce.  It was a delicious and healthy stir fry that was on the table in less than 30 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment