Monday, July 28, 2014

July 20-26, 2014

Sunday:  Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry

·          I helped hostess a baby shower this afternoon, and there were quite a few veggies leftover.  My friend, Dana, mentioned they would be great in a stir fry!  So, I grabbed a bag full of carrots, snap peas, broccoli, and cherry tomatoes and brought them home.  I had some rotisserie chicken in the freezer that I had already pulled off of the bone, so I took that out of the freezer to thaw.  Then, Chad did the rest of the work!

  I had some Asian-inspired sauces on hand from making slow cooker beef and broccoli a few weeks back.  Chad warmed the chicken in a skillet and poured in a small amount of Hoisin Sauce (a teaspoon-ish) and a little sesame oil.  Meanwhile, he sautéed the vegetables as well as thinly sliced apple with sesame oil and oyster sauce (2-3 tablespoons –ish).  He also added a brown rice and quinoa packet (that we buy from Costco) to the chicken after it was heated through with a splash of rice wine vinegar.  When it was time to serve, he put them side-by-side on our plates.  It was all so, so delicious!!  Adding the Asian sauces to it made it quite yummy.


Monday:  Chili’s To Go  J

·          I drove the boys over to Richardson to stay with Chad’s parents for the week and go to VBS, so when I arrived home, Chad pulled in right behind me with take out from Chili’s!  That’s 2 nights in a row he’s taken care of our dinner!


Tuesday:  Pioneer Woman Chicken Mozzarella Pasta with Roasted Broccoli, Asparagus, and Tomatoes



·          With the boys gone, I am taking the opportunity to potty train Payton.  So, we were a little low on groceries, but I wasn’t about to venture out to the store on day 1!  But, I took a look around at what I had, and then I went straight to Pioneer Woman’s site.  I saw this recipe and realized that I had everything on hand to make it…yay!  Not only was it super simple to prepare, but it is absolutely delicious.  Chad and I both loved it!  We had just a little broccoli, just a little asparagus, and just a few cherry tomatoes, so I tossed them all on a baking sheet together and roasted them until they were golden and yummy.  J


Wednesday:  Sautéed Duck with Orange Sauce, Rice, and Roasted Caramelized Brussels Sprouts



·          Chad still had some duck in the freezer from last season, so he thawed it and made something ridiculously delicious for dinner.  I have no idea what he did, but he made some kind of orange sauce and sautéed the duck in it.  I’ve only had duck once before, and I didn’t care for it, but this changed my mind about trying duck in the future.  Yum-o!

         I also had some frozen Brussels sprouts, which I’ve never tried roasting before.  It worked out!  I set the bag out on the counter for about 30 minutes to thaw just a bit.  Then I roasted them on a foil-lined baking sheet at 400 degrees with a little bit of cut up butter, salt, and pepper.  After the first 5 minutes, I tossed it around to make sure the melted butter was spread over all of the Brussels sprouts.  I roasted them for another 15 minutes or so, then I pulled them out and added a couple of small spoonfuls of brown sugar and some crushed walnuts.  I tossed that all around, then threw it back in the oven to roast and caramelize for another 7-8 minutes.  They were quite tasty!  It was completely different from a fresh Brussels sprout, but I really liked it.  They were also still good reheated the next day for lunch!


Thursday:  Leftover Night!


Friday:  Dinner at Grammy and DadDad’s

·          We drove over to pick up the boys after being with Chad’s parents all week, and they even made us dinner.  J


Saturday:  Pioneer Woman BBQ Chicken, Smashed Cauliflower, and Salad

·          I’m a sucker for a Pioneer Woman recipe, and this one seemed easy enough!  It was definitely easy, although I will say HOT!  Having to open my oven 4 times to add more sauce made me work up a bit of a sweat on a 102 degree day.  But, we all enjoyed it!  My mom was over, so in addition to chicken thighs, I also made a chicken breast since she prefers white meat.  I just took it out of the oven sooner so it wouldn’t dry out.  J


·          This recipe looked so yummy, I had to try it!  I’ve actually never mashed cauliflower before, but I know many people do all the time.  I must not have allowed mine to get quite tender enough because it didn’t really mash down to the right consistency.  It still tasted good, but it was more like cauliflower “rice.”  I’ll try again with another method!

No comments:

Post a Comment