Sunday, April 7, 2013

March 31 - April 6, 2013


This week’s meal planning was a little sporadic.  Before the week started, Chad wasn’t sure what nights he would be home for dinner, so my shopping trip was less planned than usual.  But, with 3 kids, I also can’t just run to the grocery store every day.  So, I bought basics – chicken, ground beef, broccoli, green beans, asparagus – and knew I could make dinner happen on whatever nights we needed it.


Sunday:  Lunch – Crockpot Pineapple & Brown Sugar Ham

·          We hosted Easter at our house this year, so I made a large ham while everyone else took care of the side dishes and dessert.  This is a delicious and simple way to make a ham.  I’ve seen this recipe in several different locations, including the Crockin’ Girls.  Using the crockpot keeps the ham moist, and of course the brown sugar and pineapple keep it tasty!  We had the ham for again for dinner that evening.


Monday:  Dinner with Mom

·          Chad wasn’t home for dinner on this evening, so the kids and I met my mom for dinner.  Yay for living close to Nonnie!


Tuesday:  Sauteed Chicken & Roasted Asparagus with Spinach Ravioli & Pesto



·          This was a dinner that was decided on and made somewhat last minute.  As I mentioned earlier, I wasn’t even sure what nights I would be cooking a full dinner, but having staples on hand made this meal easy and yummy.  I like this meal too because everything is all together in one bowl. 

Sauteed Chicken & Roasted Asparagus with Spinach Ravioli & Pesto
-          2 large chicken breasts, cut up into bite-sized pieces
-          Seasonings for chicken
-          Trimmed asparagus
-          Spinach ravioli (mine was from Sprouts)
-          1-2 Tbsp. Pesto
-          Freshly-grated Parmesan

Roast the asparagus on a foil-lined baking sheet with olive oil, salt, & pepper at 450 degrees for 15-18 minutes.  Sautee the chicken in olive oil & your choice of seasonings.  I used Accent, garlic salt, pepper, & Italian seasoning.  Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to package directions.  When asparagus is roasted, cut into bite-size pieces and toss with your chicken.  Add 1-2 Tbsp. pesto, depending on your own preference.  Place pasta in your bowls and top with chicken & asparagus.  Finish it off with a little fresh-grated Parmesan cheese!  Yummy!  I served ours with some whole wheat garlic bread.


Wednesday:  Bacon, Egg, & Cheese Breakfast Tacos

·          Chad wasn’t home for dinner this evening, so I needed a quick and easy meal for the boys and me.  Breakfast comes to the rescue again! 


Thursday:  Papa Murphy’s Pizza

·          After a tiring day and a little dental work, I had no desire to cook.  Chad quickly picked up the vibe and grabbed a Papa Murphy’s pizza for dinner.  I pretty much have the best husband.


Friday:  Grilled Steak & Shrimp, Roasted Green Beans, & Macaroni & Cheese

·          The boys stayed with my mom for the night, so after Payton went to sleep, Chad & I had an at-home date night!  It was wonderful.  Really, we decided it was almost better than going out.  We didn’t have to deal with a crowd or an expensive restaurant, the food was delicious, and we had a nice, quiet conversation.  Chad took the lead on this meal, marinating and grilling the steak and shrimp and also buying some delicious mac-n-cheese from our Market Street grocery store.  Seriously…it was SO good.  I roasted some green beans, and we were both stuffed!


Saturday:  Beef Soft Tacos, Rice, & Roasted Broccoli



·          I browned some ground beef, drained it, then I added some homemade taco seasoning I had made up several weeks before (recipe from One Good Thing By Jillee).  I also had some black beans in the fridge and threw those in with the beef.  We prefer corn tortillas, so I steamed some in the microwave by wrapping them in a damp paper towel and microwaving for about 30 seconds or so.  I made the boys quesadillas, which are MUCH less messy for them! 

Add all the fixings to your tacos, as well as sides of rice and roasted broccoli, and you have a filing and delicious meal for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment