Sunday, March 31, 2013

March 24-30, 2013

Sunday:  Lasagna, Spinach Salad with Apples, Feta, & Balsamic Dressing, & Whole Wheat Garlic Bread

*  The last time I made lasagna, I made a double batch and put extras in our freezer.  This was one of those nights when I really appreciate how nice make-ahead freezer meals are!



Monday:  Herb Crusted Chicken in Basil Cream Sauce over Angel Hair Pasta, Roasted Green Beans, & Whole Wheat Bread

*  Yum, yum, yum!  This was a very delicious dinner that we all enjoyed.  It was a bit more involved than some of my dinners, but Payton went to bed early, so I had more time to stand over the stove.  There wasn't much of this dish that could be done ahead of time (which is my preferred way to cook), but it was worth the extra minutes at the stove.  I served it over angel hair pasta, and even made a double batch of the sauce so I could have some in the freezer for an easy meal another night.  (http://hopeandjohnbasher.blogspot.com/)


Tuesday:  Dinner with Mom  :-)


Wednesday:  Amber's Spaghetti Pie, Salad, & Whole Wheat Garlic Toast

Amber's Spaghetti Pie
*  Ok...so I'm noticing that I really wanted pasta this week.  Sorry if that's not your thing!  I'm still using the nursing excuse to carb-load.  ;-)  This recipe is wonderful and easy.  My sister-in-law shared this with me, so of course I named it after her!

Spaghetti Pie
(Amber Smith)

-4 oz. spaghetti noodles
-1 Tbsp. Butter
-1 egg
-¼  cup parmesan cheese (grated)
-½ cup mozzarella cheese
-½ lb Owens Italian style sausage (I used mild.)
-½ jar spaghetti sauce (I use Bertioli brand)
-1 small package of cottage cheese
-cooking spray

Brown sausage. Drain and add spaghetti sauce.
Boil pasta. While hot, mix with butter, egg, and parmesan cheese. Press into a greased pie pan, making it look like a pie crust. 

Put cottage cheese on top of pasta “crust”.  Pour meat sauce over cottage cheese. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes




Thursday:  Crock Pot Enchiladas, Cilantro Lime Rice, & Salad

Crockin' Enchilada Casserole
*  You've got to love the Crockin Girls!  I love using my crock pot, although I haven't had it out in a few weeks.  Shame on me!  These were quite tasty, although not particularly healthy.  (It would be very easy to make a healthier version of this using ground turkey and a homemade cream soup.) I used corn tortillas instead of flour, but that's just our preference.  I'm sure this recipe is on their website, but I grabbed it from their cookbook.

Crockin' Enchilada Casserole

- 1 pound hamburger meat, browned
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 can Ranch Style beans
- flour tortillas
- 1 bag shredded Velveeta crumbles

Brown hamburger meat; add soup, tomatoes, and beans to the hamburger meat and mix well.  Tear tortillas into trips and place a layer in the bottom of the slow-cooker.  Next, add 1 layer of 1/2 the meat mixure, then a layer of cheese.  Repeat layers, ending with cheese.  Cook on HIGH for 3 hours.



Friday:  Dinner with Friends


Saturday:  Monterrey Chicken with Butter Pecan Sweet Potatoes & Roasted Broccoli

*  We have had this recipe a few times over the last year, and we always enjoy it.  Now that the weather is warmer, I'll be asking Chad to grill some on weekend nights, which I'm really excited about!  It's always nice to get the grill going...it's one less pan in the kitchen!  When we make this, we only put a little of the Rotel on the chicken the boys will eat (they are big into spicy).  I also made the sweet potatoes from this blog post, and they are ridiculously yummy.  Seriously...make them now.  We devoured them!  Add some roasted broccoli, and your meal is complete!  (All Things Simple)

No comments:

Post a Comment