Sunday, November 1, 2015

October 25-31, 2015

Sunday:  Cook Out with Friends


Monday:  Hawaiian Chicken Tenders with Roasted Butternut Squash and Fresh Broccoli

(sorry for the random sideways pic...)


  This recipe is from Just Add Sprinkles, and we all enjoyed it!  It’s definitely a sweeter chicken tender full of coconut, so if coconut isn’t your thing, you probably wouldn’t like this much.  I’m not a big fan of coconut usually, but I do love coconut shrimp, so I also enjoyed this recipe.  The kids loved this as well.  We all had our own various dipping sauces ranging from honey to BBQ sauce to ketchup to Sriracha.  Just a note…it didn’t take long for the coconut to brown before breading it (one of her first steps), so watch your oven so you don’t burn the coconut!

  I served ours with fresh broccoli and roasted butternut squash.


Tuesday:  Breakfast for Dinner – Scrambled Eggs, Bacon, Waffles & Fruit


Wednesday:  Mummy Dogs and Monster Teeth  J



  A Halloween week tradition!!


Thursday:  Chicken & Cheese Taquitos with Apple Slices and Fresh Avocado



Chicken & Cheese Taquitos
  When I planned our menu, I initially had in mind our typical Thursday night schedule with practice for both boys.  So, I planned this with a busy schedule and a grab-n-go meal in mind.  However, we ended up not having either practice, but these taquitos were still an easy, kid-friendly dish.  Here’s what you need:

Tortillas
Chicken (I used rotisserie)
4 oz Cream Cheese, room temperature
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Salsa (optional)
Butter

  In a bowl, mix together shredded or diced chicken, cream cheese, shredded cheese, and salsa if you choose.  I made most of ours with just chicken and cheese for the kids, but after I scooped their portions out, I added salsa into the mix for me.  Really, there’s no exact amounts of anything…just eyeball it based on how much you need and what your family likes.  J  I used about 2 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken for our meal, and it made 6 good-sized taquitos.

  Spoon equal amounts of the chicken and cheese mixture onto your tortillas (I had a super cute helper.)




  Then roll them up, tucking the ends in as you roll so nothing escapes. Payton wanted to be the photographer at this point...




  Spread a small amount of butter on both sides of your rolled up taquito and cook on your stovetop on a hot skilled, seam-side down first.  Once the first side turns golden brown, flip and brown the other side.  That’s it!  So easy, and all of the yumminess is tucked neatly inside a tortilla, which means less mess for the kids.  Always a plus in my book when ingredients aren’t falling all over the place!



Friday:  Cheeseburgers and Family Movie Night!



  Chad grilled some yummy burgers for us, but we didn’t have any hamburger buns on hand, nor did I want to get out in the rain and buy some.  So, I found a recipe for Homemade Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns from Whole and Heavenly Oven.   These were simple enough even for me…I don’t make a ton of rolls and other yeast-type recipes.  (They weren't super pretty!)



  Still, I thought they lacked a bit of flavor.  But, we all enjoyed them on our cheeseburgers, and they even made excelled bread for our grilled cheeses the next day! 




  So, I made bread for 2 meals that cost nothing since I already had all the ingredients on hand.  I like that I didn’t have to make a store run, and it was fun to try something new.  I’ll definitely try my hand at whole wheat buns again, just with a different recipe next time.  J


Saturday:  Pizza Night and Trick or Treating!!



Thanks Papa Murphy’s for our adorable pizza!


Happy Halloween!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment