Sunday, August 30, 2015

August 23-29, 2015

Sunday:  Dinner with Friends after Church
  A wonderful family from church invited our family over for a meal.  


Monday:  Crockpot BBQ Shredded Chicken Nacho Bowls with Fresh Fruit & Veggies



Crockpot BBQ Shredded Chicken Nacho Bowls
  This recipe is simple, versatile, and tasty!  My sister-in-law Amber shared it with me, and my kids really enjoy it.  I enjoy how easy it is!  You need 2 ingredients:  frozen chicken breasts and BBQ sauce.  That’s all!  I put three large, frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot and poured over about half a bottle of BBQ sauce.  Then, I cooked the chicken on low for about 6-7 hours.  After that, I shredded the chicken and stirred it around, then turned my crock pot to warm until dinner time.

We served ours in little scoop chips with shredded cheese and called them “Nacho Bowls” to make it fun for the kids.  I added grapes to the kids’ plates, but didn’t worry about any veggies as I had given them a good serving for lunch.  I was headed out for dinner with some girlfriends, so this easy dinner was perfect for Chad and the kids!

This chicken is wonderful as nachos, tacos, sliders, and on salads!  Make extra…you’ll love having the leftovers!


Tuesday:  BBQ Chicken Burritos with Salad



  I used the leftover chicken from the night before for burritos.  We added some fresh veggies, and our healthy, delicious meal was ready to go!


Wednesday:  Italian Crescent Rolls with Fresh Veggies


  I pulled out some frozen ground beef I had in the freezer from last week when I made a pasta dish.  I warmed the meat in the skillet with a little pasta sauce.  Then I unrolled store-bought crescent rolls, sprinkled in a little mozzarella cheese, put a few spoonfuls of the meat and sauce, and rolled up the crescents.  I sprinkled on a little garlic salt, then baked them in the oven at the temperature and time suggested on the crescent roll package.  These were a fun dinner for the kids, but adding in some fresh fruit and veggies made it a fairly healthy one as well.  The ground beef had diced zucchini and tomatoes in it from last week’s meal, so that gave some extra healthiness to it also!


Thursday:  Chili Lime Cumin Cod with Roasted Green Beans & Sour Cream Muffins

(upside down picture...ha!)



Instead of buying frozen tilapia from Costco this month, I bought frozen cod.  I looked up several cod recipes on Pinterest and decided on one that looked good.  We had to have an early dinner because Ranger and Chad needed to leave for baseball practice by 5:40.  I’ll say that this cod was okay, but not great.  I definitely plan to buy cod again, but this recipe lacked a bit of flavor, so I’ll try another recipe next time.  We all ate it, but we used various dipping sauces.  :-)

I also roasted some fresh green beans at 450 degrees for about 15-18 minutes.  I had tossed them in bit of olive oil and sprinkled on a little season salt before roasting.  These were delish!

  This recipe is from a class called “Apples of Gold” at our church several years back.  It is originally a Paula Deen recipe, so you know it involves butter, and you know it’s delicious!  These are ridiculously easy and fast to make, and they are SO, SO good.  My apologies to any of you that eat gluten and dairy free.  Sadly, I can’t see any way to adapt these tasty bite-size muffins.  I made a half recipe for our dinner, and we ended up with 18 mini-muffins.

Ingredients
2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
1 cup sour cream

Directions
-Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease miniature muffin pans.

-Mix the flour and butter together, add the sour cream, and blend well. Place spoonfuls of the batter in the muffin pans. Bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes


Friday:  Venison Kabobs, Roasted Parmesan Cauliflower, & Oatmeal Cookies (Family Movie Night!)


Roasted Parmesan Cauliflower
This is a GREAT way to eat cauliflower!

- cauliflower cut up into bite-size pieces
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- plain Greek yogurt
- freshly-grated Parmesan
- Italian bread crumbs

Roast the cauliflower with olive oil, salt, & pepper on a foil-lined baking sheet at 400 for 15 minutes.  Take the cauliflower out of the oven and mix with Greek yogurt and Parmesan cheese (Add as much as you like.  I've never really measured it...I just eye it and add enough until the cauliflower is creamy without being drenched.)  Top with Italian bread crumbs and put back on the baking sheet in the oven.  Bake for 20 minutes more, until it starts getting golden on the top.  It's so, so yummy!  It's very much like macaroni and cheese!


Saturday:  Family Birthday Dinner!

  To celebrate our nephew, Davis, turning 15!

No comments:

Post a Comment