Sunday, February 2, 2014

January 26 - February 2, 2014

·          Hi everyone!  Thanks for taking a look at my little blog!  Just a heads up that there will be no menu posted next Sunday.  I should be back to the blog the week after that.  Happy meal planning!

Sunday:  Pizza Night!


Monday:  Dinner at Mom’s – One Pot Ziti

·          We ate dinner with my mom, and she made this delicious dish!  I love one pot meals, and this one did not disappoint.  She didn’t put quite as many red pepper flakes in the recipe since the kids were eating this too.  But Chad, Mom, & I just added more red pepper to ours before we ate it.  Everyone cleaned their plates!!  This makes quite a bit, so there was enough for all 3 adults to have leftovers for lunch the next day.  J


Tuesday:  BBQ Turkey Meatloaf, Roasted Balsamic Brussels Sprouts, & Warm, Buttered Bread

·         This is a family favorite!  I actually pulled this one out of the freezer, which made it even easier, but it’s a simple recipe even if you are making it fresh.  I always double it so I can have one in the freezer ready to go!  Yum!  I substituted turkey for the ground beef and oatmeal for the breadcrumbs.  (http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/)

Roasted Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
·          I had some Brussels sprouts, which we always really enjoy cut up and roasted with just olive oil, salt, and pepper.  But, having tried our Aunt Suzanne’s balsamic/soy asparagus last week and loving it, I thought I would give the same finish to the Brussels sprouts to see if it was just as tasty. 

Guess what…it was!  I cored and halved the Brussels sprouts and placed them in a ziplock bag with the olive oil, salt, and pepper; this sat for about 30 minutes on the counter.  Then I roasted them on a foil-lined baking sheet at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.  I tossed them around, and roasted them again for another 10 minutes or so, just until they started turning golden.  Right before serving them, I melted 2 tablespoons of butter and mixed that with 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar.  I poured that on top of the roasted Brussels sprouts, and everything was ready to go!  We ate every last ONE!


Wednesday:  Breakfast for Dinner!
·          This is always the boys’ favorite dinner.  This time we had egg and cheese omelets, bacon, biscuits with honey, and strawberries.  Delish!  Also…do you know the tip of baking your bacon?  If not, you really should try it.  It’s fast, easy, and so much less messy and smelly than frying it up in a pan on your stovetop.

Line a baking sheet with foil.  Place your bacon strips on the foil.  Then put in a cold oven.  Turn on the oven to 375 – 425 degrees (the temperature really just depends on whether or not you are baking something else at the same time and don’t have a double oven…oh how I wish I had a double oven).  I was also using my oven for biscuits, so I needed the oven hotter.  Just keep your eye on your bacon until it reaches your desired crispness!  Since my oven was on 425 tonight, the bacon was done in about 14 minutes or so.  The best part?  While you are enjoying your scrumptious bacon, the grease solidifies on the foil so that all you have to do when it’s time to clean up is pick up your foil and throw it in the trash!  Voila!!  (And, you’re welcome.)


Thursday:  Fish Sticks, Macaroni & Cheese, & Roasted Broccoli

·          Chad was at a conference in Dallas this week, which meant we were on our own for dinner again.  I made a simple dinner of some yummy CostCo fish sticks with sides of Annie’s macaroni & cheese and roasted broccoli.  My dinner was almost the same, except I had a crab cake from CostCo instead.  J  Three cheers for Mommy and Kid nights!


Friday:  Dinner Out with Mom


Saturday:  Chicken Parmesan Meatballs, Roasted Broccoli & Sweet Potatoes, & Bread


·          I made these a few months back, and we all enjoyed them, so I was happy to make them again!  I used whole oats instead of breadcrumbs.  I think I will add a bit of basil or other Italian seasonings to the chicken before making the meatballs the next time, just to flavor it up even more.  Still, these are delicious and a great way to change up the meatball a bit.  We had enough leftover that we had them for lunch the next day with ziti pasta and more pasta sauce!  (http://www.dinneralovestory.com/)

No comments:

Post a Comment