Sunday, September 8, 2013

September 1-7, 2013

Let me start out by saying, I didn’t intentionally set out to have such a carb-loaded, cheesy menu this week, but somehow that’s what happened.  When I planned our menu, I must have been craving some comfort foods.  You’ve been warned!


Sunday:  Chicken & Spinach Bake with Caesar Salad

·          This was delicious, healthy, and quite easy to prepare.  Three things that make it a winner in our house!  I used a rotisserie chicken that I shredded, which made it even easier.  It’s a great way to add spinach to a meal without it being a stand-alone side.  It also made more than enough, so I portioned it out for leftovers and set some aside to take to my mom.  I didn’t make it ahead of time, but it is a great recipe for making in advance.  (http://www.savingmoneylivinglife.com/)


Monday:  Breakfast for Dinner!  Eggs, Bacon, Pancakes, & Strawberries


Tuesday:  Homemade Chicken Nuggets, Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips, & Grapes

·          Ranger’s soccer practice was moved to Tuesday this week due to Labor Day, so my goal was to cook a healthy, quick dinner that the kids – especially Ranger – would eat without any complaint.  He needs all the energy he can possibly have to practice when it’s so ridiculously hot outside.  These chicken nuggets were quick and easy to prepare, and I felt good that we weren’t eating take out (which we absolutely do, but I just wanted to avoid it on this evening!).  I didn’t use homemade bread crumbs…mine were store-bought.  J  I’ll definitely make these again.  (http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/)

·         My kids have always enjoyed these, and this time, the boys helped me make them.  They had an absolute blast dipping the zucchini in the milk and tossing them into the bread crumb mixture for me.  Sure….it was a bit messy.  But, we all had a great time!  Plus, the boys always happily eat something if they’ve actually helped make it.  I baked ours for 15 minutes then flipped them and baked them for another 10.  They were perfect!  (www.food.com)


Wednesday:  Jamie’s Pasta Bake with Caesar Salad



Jamie’s Pasta Bake
·          This is my friend Jamie’s recipe, and it is DELISH!  I was reminded of it a few weeks ago when I made a Pioneer Woman pasta dish that is very similar.  I actually like this recipe a bit better because of the cream cheese.  I could actually just eat the noodle mixture all by itself!  All the kids ate their portions, and I loved having this for leftovers at lunch during the week.  Seriously…make this!

Pasta Casserole
Ground Beef
Spaghetti Sauce
8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
8 oz sour cream
Pasta of your choice
Mozzarella cheese

Make meat sauce how you typically make it and prepare pasta, any kind. After the pasta is cooked to al dente, combine cream cheese and sour cream, then mix the combined mixture with pasta. Pour pasta in an oven-safe dish and pour meat sauce over pasta, top with mozzarella cheese, cover, and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.  Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes to melt the mozzarella.  Enjoy!


Thursday:  Leftovers


Friday:  Outback Alice Springs Chicken with Kale Salad



·          I’ve made this once before, and we all enjoyed it.  It’s a simple recipe that packs quite a bit of flavor, and in keeping with my unintentional “theme” of the week, it has cheese in it.  J (http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/)  Callen helped me make a kale salad topped with slivered almonds, feta cheese, & balsamic vinaigrette to balance out the meal.


Saturday:  Callen’s 3rd Birthday!!!

·          We celebrated Callen’s 3rd birthday with family on this day.  CostCo helped us out with lunch that day, and we had enough for leftovers for dinner.  Ranger had his first soccer game on this Saturday as well, so we were all exhausted and happy to have food ready to go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment